30 January 2012

Some Parts From The Watery Tart



Hmm, 'Reading Monday'. A fairly straightforward topic - a review on something I have read recently, preferably a book. To be truthful, I haven't read a proper book for a while. The hubby got me an iPad for Christmas, complete with on board Kindle, so I have been reading on that lately. Yes, it's still 'book reading', but much as I love my gadget, it's not quite the same thing. Plus the stuff I have read on there have mostly been the free classics that you can download, which are so universally well-known, they don't need a review from me.

I have also been reading all about jaw surgery. Admittedly, that's not 'book reading' as such, but it's taken up a lot of my reading time lately nonetheless. My son will have to undergo surgery on his jaw within the next few years because apparently braces alone will not fix the problems he has with his teeth. This is probably not something that will interest you if I were to review all that I had read about it though.

The thing that I have been reading the most, though, is my manuscript. Not only did I give it two solid readings, I also nit-picked it to the best of my ability in order for it to be presentable for entry to this year's Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. This is not the first time that ABNA has been mentioned on here, so I won't go into any more details on it in case I invoke an epidemic of eyerolling and yawns. But I will leave you with something to read for yourself - the all-important 'pitch' that will see me either fall into the abyss with 3,999 other authors, or will allow me to continue on the path to ABNA glory with 999 other hopefuls.

As well as a little read, I also pose a small question. I wrote the pitch all on my own, but the Burrow's very own Watery Tart threw in a couple of last minute suggestions, and they were so fabulous that I edited them into my entry a couple of days ago. See if you can guess what they are... I'm betting you can. *winks*

Take one damsel unknowingly in distress, add a fairy godmother, a spattering of clothing mishaps, and a prince-in-the-making. Mix thoroughly and let simmer for a while.

Twenty-four year old Eleanor Gibson is average in pretty much every way. There’s nothing wrong with her life; it’s just not very exciting, despite being surrounded by lingerie all day long.

Then comes the day when her cat starts to talk, and if that wasn’t enough to make life a little more interesting, the feline insists she is Ella’s fairy godmother too. Throw in an evil ex-stepmother, a bloke called Charming, and a looming party-cum-ball, and you have all the elements of a classic tale. Ella even has a couple of ugly sisters, never mind that they are a pair of gorgeous gay men.

Ella’s not your typical fairy-tale princess though, and it will take more than a discarded glass slipper to get her man. It’s quite possible that she may have to curb her enthusiasm for cursing just a wee bit, not to mention her love of vodka. And can Muse, her surprisingly straight-laced feline friend, overcome her prudishness long enough for Ella to sneak a kiss or three with her intended beau?

Cue plenty of laughs, cursing, accidental nudity, and several trips to the local hospital, as Ella flies from one disaster to the next in her quest to capture her very own Prince Charming.

CARDIFFELLA is a comic retelling of Cinderella set in present day Cardiff.



ABNA image.

4 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

It's definitely that time of year where it is hard to get any reading in that isn't something you yourself wrote...

Amber T. Smith said...

Man, tell me about it... I think I could probably recite most of my book from memory alone.*snorts*

Jan Morrison said...

yep, I'm heavy into reading my own book too but I cannot wait to read this story! It sounds right some good, as we say on the south shore.

ViolaNut said...

Oh, it IS good. Very funny. And with kilts. ;-) (Oh, and I took out some extraneous hyphens... didn't think you'd mind. ;-) )