18 January 2012

I'm A Writer? Me??



 I think there may have been a few wires crossed somewhere, because apparently I am under the impression that I am a writer. I don't know what gave me this idea, because I am probably the least writerly person I know. Most of the time I put writerly things off for as long as I can, and surely this is a sign that I'm NOT a writer.

Writers also have this inbuilt skill when it comes to writing. Unlike me, they don't wrangle with typos and copious spelling errors. And they have magical understanding of grammar. They know all about colons and semi-colons, and those mysterious ellipses. They know exactly what 'first person' and 'third person' is, and don't get them muddled in a single paragraph. They know the proper use of apostrophes, and they know whether certain words are supposed to have capital letters.

And they certainly don't make up words willy-nilly and hope that nobody notices.

One thing I DO have in common with writers is the difficulty in writing a 'pitch' (which, I'm sure you have noticed, rhymes conveniently with 'bitch', an apt description of the pitch process if I ever I heard one).

But other than the tenuous bond over pitch writing, I can safely say that there's nothing much else in common between me and 'proper' writers. When I'm reading writerly blogs and tips, most of the time there's a little hobbit in my brain scratching his head and saying 'eh?' (Hmm, I've forgotten whether that question mark should go before or after the quote. See what I mean? Ugh).

Maybe I am a writer, but maybe I'm also a charlatan. Or maybe I'm just brain-addled over writing this bitch. Er, pitch. And maybe this post would have been better as a 'Who Am I?' post.

Maybe I should go now. *snort*

Image source.

7 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

by your definition I'm in trouble. and I don't want to be - I am a writer who makes copious spelling errors and hasn't the faintest when it comes to commas. Did you know that Shakespeare made-up a VAST number of words?
hang in there writer! you are not alone...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

You sound so much like me when I'm having my doubts which is nearly everytime I sit at my computer. Good with with your B-itch.

Johanna Garth said...

Pitches are a bitch and your comment made me LOL! So that settles it! Of course you're a writer.

ViolaNut said...

Silly... that's what EDITORS are for! ;-) Trust me, you're a writer.

Amber T. Smith said...

Jan - I have something in common with Shakespeare? That's nice to know. *snort*

Susan - I think we all have moments of self-doubt, some of us more than others. It's nice to know we all have that in common, though.

Johanna - you know, I'm pretty sure the person who came up with the concept (and the name) of the 'pitch', knew exactly what they were doing. ;)

Leanne - well, yes... that's not the point though. You'd think I'd understand the finer points of grammar after all these years, but it still goes over my head. *eye roll*

erica and christy said...

Wow, I haven't had too much to drink in years, or decades, now, but I totally don't remember writing this post. Yet, it's ME. So, I'm not alone. Thank goodness! Yes, a pitch...sucks. Along with not knowing all the other important writerly things. Christy

Amber T. Smith said...

Christy - Ha! Maybe I was taken over by your writery spirit or something... who knows?

I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one who struggles with all this stuff. Well, not pleased that others suffer with it, but pleased that I'm not alone.