06 October 2011

Delusional Thursday: Progress

So today's post is somewhat late.  I sincerely apologize.  However, please know that I am not goofing around.  I have made progress!  Progress in what you ask.  Well, I'll tell you.

First, I have made progress in my profession as an educator.  I am a unit coordinator at a high school in Manhattan.  I am teaching Geometry, Chemistry and Resource (for my students with learning disabilities). Recently, I was offered a position as a facilitator for the school's monthly professional development meetings.  What does this mean?  I get to teach my fellow pedagogues strategies on differentiated instruction and how to support the needs of ALL students.  Awesome, right!

Furthermore, I have been house-hunting for some time.  I've looked at many different homes, both at open houses and on the internet, and have decided that I want a three bedroom/ two bath condominium on Staten Island.  The interest rates on thirty year mortgages has just fallen and it seems like now- is the perfect time to buy!

I have also made progress in my writing.  It's been a long time since I've written anything substantial.  Just last week, I made myself sit down at the computer, with the door to my bedroom closed and I actually wrote about two thousand words. I was flabbergasted!  All it takes is just sitting down and doing it!  Who knew?

My children at home have also made progress.  My son, Justin, is seventeen years old and a senior in high school.  Yes, he actually attends the high school which I teach.  Long story.  But, he is coming along nicely with his advanced placement classes and looking at colleges.  My daughter, Ayanna, is also in high school (different one), is passing all of her classes and  involved in various extracurricular activities.  My little one, Zionne, is now third grade and this is a major year for her with all the exams she must take.  It's a shame that this is what education has come to- teaching to the standardized exams.  I'll save that topic for my "Topical Tuesday" post.

How is this post "delusional" you ask?  Well, even though I have made progress, it's not the amount of progress I had hoped to achieve by this time of year.  I should have finished at least one of my works in progress.  I should already have owned my own property.  I should have gone back to school and become an assistant principal.  So many should have's. . .


1. Image taken from Wikimedia Commons.
2. Image taken from Wikimedia Commons.
3. Image taken from Wikimedia Commons.


No comments: