27 June 2011

Reading Monday: A Little of Everything

I will not lie. I have not been really reading any books lately. I've been actually keeping up with the media. Very unlike me but with my busy schedule, I only have time for short news articles, mainly science and national news, and The Color Purple that I am teaching my English class. It's been difficult to really focus on anything lately. So today I picked up Maximum Ride and began rereading the series. I needed something that was light, quick and not too taxing.

However, I do not wish to disappoint. So here we go . . .


I read this book some time ago but thought that for Stephanie Meyer, it was an excellent read. The Host: A Novel is about Melanie Stryder , a young woman who was infected with an altruistic alien parasite. These non-violent aliens quietly invade Earth and all war ends. There is no more illness but also no need for sexual intercourse since they reproduce via mitosis. Melanie has an internal struggle with her alien, Wanderer, and floods her with vivid memories of her long lost love, Jared. Wanderer gives in and they begin the journey of searching for Jared in a free colony of humans who have resisted against the alien invasion. The book is very well written and is truly an adult novel. So if you want to see a different side of Stephanie Meyer's writing, this is the book for you.

Now I am all for classics, so the next book I recommend is actually a play. A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennesse Williams is a wonderful play about a married couple, Stella and Stanley, who are visited by Stella's sister, Blanche. Now stop ogling the young Marlon Brandon and pay attention. Yes, over here. Now Blanche has problems. She is an alcoholic, she's penniless and she likes them young. Blanche and all her issues bring nothing but discontent to Stanley's home. If you love a story with multitude layers, this is the play for you! Strictly adult though since there are sexual situations. If you end up loving this one, try The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams. Talk about a dysfunctional family!


Finally, a teen book which I found to be surprisingly enjoyable is Cirque du Freak: A Living Nightmare Book 1 by Darren Shan. This is the tale of a young man who bites off more than he can chew, no pun intended. Darren Shan, yes this is the main character and the author's name, goes to a freak show with his disgruntled best friend, Steve. They meet up with Mr. Crepsley, a spider loving vampire. Darren steals the spider and the spider ends up biting Steve. A deal is made and Darren becomes Mr. Crepsley's apprentice to save the life of his ungrateful friend. This is where Darren's journey begins as the vampire's assistant. Darren becomes entangled in the war of vampires against the vampanese, vampires who completely consume the life of their prey. Eventually Darren is pitted against Steve, who sides with the evil vampanese and they begin to fulfill their destinies. I can't wait to begin reading the second book!

However, all books will have to wait until all my other activities (homebuying, beginning of summer school with my students, exams, registering for a second master's degree and family) come to a close. Happy reading!

The Host attribution
Streetcar attribution
Cirque attribution

1 comment:

Amber T. Smith said...

The Colour Purple is an AWESOME book. *nods* I tried The Host,mostly because I was interested is seeing for myself how Meyer writes without having to read about sparking vampires (*shudders*), and I couldn't get past the second chapter. Possibly because I have a mind-block against Meyers. And my son and my hubby both recommended Darren Shan, and my son has all twelve books of the series, so maybe I should kick myself up the butt and start reading them...

Thanks again for the switch, Chary!