07 July 2011

Evidence of Delusion

This little, ah, something, was written about four years ago when a friend requested a Dobby/Hagrid songfic (Harry Potter characters, if you didn't already know.) Dobby the house-elf and Hagrid the half giant. Hmm. The mind boggles. Anyway...

Love Strikes

Dobby skipped towards his destination, excitement his companion. Tonight was the night. He was going to declare his undying love and nothing was going to stop him. Not fear of rejection; not worry about what others would say; and not prejudice against him for choosing 'out of his breed.' He saw his beloved's home and sighed with pleasure. Running eagerly to the front door, he took a deep breath and knocked. Within seconds the door creaked open to reveal the object of his desire.

“Dobby? What are yeh doin' ere?” said his love.

“Hagrid! Dobby had to come! Dobby could not wait any longer!”

“Wait any longer fer what?” asked Hagrid, blushing slightly and rubbing his neck.

“Hagrid knows! Oh yes... Hagrid knows!” breathed Dobby, his eyes alight with longing.

“Ahhhm, are yeh sure yeh want to go through with this?” asked Hagrid, an answering yearning in his own eyes.

Dobby's eyes glazed over in happiness.

“Oh yes, Hagrid sir! Dobby was broken-hearted when Harry Potter didn't return his love, but Dobby is over that now sir! Now Dobby has found a new love, and he is wanting the whole world to know it!”

“Come inside then, Dobby. We can sing the song o' commitment,” said Hagrid, blushing even more, but looking ecstatic.

Dobby skipped inside and waited in anticipation while Hagrid bolted the door and entered the room. He then watched as Hagrid went over to his gramophone and selected a record. The slow, hypnotic sounds of a reggae beat filled the air and Hagrid turned around slowly. He gulped and brushed a stray tear from his eye.

“Shall we?” he said gruffly, holding his arm out.

Dobby nearly died of happiness as he eagerly agreed. He skipped over to Hagrid and waited for the intro to finish so that he could start the song.

“They say we're young and we don't know
We won't find out until we grow,”
he squeaked happily.

Hagrid beamed.

“I don't know if all that's true
'Cause you got me, and baby I got you,”
  he replied.

Dobby grinned in return and joined him.

“Babe,
I got you babe, I got you babe.”


Hagrid spun Dobby around before they continued.

“They say our love won't pay the rent
Before it's earned, our money's all been spent.”


Hagrid blushed.

“I guess that's so, we don't have a pot
But at least I'm sure of all the things we got.”


'We've got each other, Hagrid sir!' whispered Dobby blissfully.

“Babe
I got you babe, I got you babe.”


Hagrid beamed happily at Dobby and spun him some more.

“I got flowers in the spring ,

I got you to wear my ring,” he trilled.

Dobby almost fainted with ecstasy, and could barely remember the next line.

“And when I'm sad, you're a clown,
And if I get scared, you're always around.
So let them say your hair's too long,
'Cause I don't care, with you I can't go wrong.”


Hagrid nodded his head with encouragement.

“Then put your little hand in mine,
There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb.
Babe,
I got you babe, I got you babe.”


Dobby squealed again and gripped Hagrid tightly. They both twirled around the room before singing the final chorus together.

“I got you to hold my hand ...
I got you to understand ...
I got you to walk with me ...
I got you to talk with me …
I got you to kiss goodnight ...
I got you to hold me tight ...
I got you, I won't let go ...
I got you to love me so ...”


They gave each other one last adoring look and sung at the tops of their voices.

“I got you babe…
I got you babe…
I got you babe…
I got you babe…
I got you babe…”


On and on they sung into the night, oblivious to time. Hagrid and Dobby had found each other and they were determined to never be parted. Dobby moved his socks in the very next morning, and from that day on you could see Hagrid attending his duties with a devoted Dobby in tow.

They had each other, babe.


*shifty*


Dobby image borrowed from here
Hagrid image borrowed from here.

2 comments:

ViolaNut said...

If I weren't laughing so hard, I'd be worried about you... ;-)

Amber T. Smith said...

Er, yeah... *snort*